Friday, December 31, 2010

Great Grandpa 12-31-10


Grandpa is a great man. Unfortunately, he passed away this morning after suffering several weeks with phenomia. We are grateful he was able to see his 88th birthday, this past Monday, which also happens to be the last day he was able to speak and acknowledge the presence of family members. Jeremy and I feel blessed to have so many good memories of him and with him. We also feel blessed that our daughters have been so fortunate to know their "Great" Grandfather AND are old enough to know and remember that he loves them very much.

This is a portrait Ally and Kaitlyn both received in a card from Great Grandpa last month, the day of Ally's baptism. I had never seen this picture before and do not know when it was taken. You'll find Grandpa being very serious. Yes, he was a serious man, but the man we know is also loving and kind in every way. He loved his beloved "Betty" very much and longed to be with her. He loved his family. You can tell he and Grandma taught the importance of family, for his children have all stayed close through the years and do what they can to support each other. Grandpa taught us work ethic during our visits. Even this past year he kept his homestead running, this included a roof repair and taking care of a large yard and garden.
A memory I'll never forget is him shooting a wild rabbit on his property. Jeremy encouraged the shot (with my disapproval because of my love for them). We did not think he could make it, but he proved us wrong when he got it with one shot and then decided to teach me to eat it and like it.....not just for how cute they were.

I loved the cowboy side of Grandpa. Jeremy and I were introduced to Marty Robbins and Buck Owens through the music we listened to in Grandpa's basement while playing pool. Grandpa always put on the classics and at times would dance with our girls while we played. He was always so sweet with them. Antoher cherished memory is our annual Rodeo at the fair. Jeremy and I attended when we were dating and have taken Grandpa every year of our marriage (2009 being the only exception, because Grandpa was not feeling well). Grandpa loved watching his rodeos on television and we were always thrilled to take him to the local championship each summer. We saw many bulls rides, 12 championships. We will never forget this annual date with Grandpa.
2011 won't be the same without you, Grandpa, but we will hold you there in our hearts. I will imagine you walking through the cattle barns at the fairgrounds holding hands with the girls, as you have done in previous years. That was such a precious sight, from a serious man who had so much love to give to all his family. We are glad you are not suffering any longer and will finally be reunited with your precious Betty. We love you Grandpa!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Andrea, I loved your comments about Grandpa. A wonderful man he was. I wish we could have made it to more of the rodeo's with Grandpa. I enjoyed reading the memories your family has with Grandpa. We love and miss him... and now he finally gets to be with his sweet, dear Betty.