Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Bread

Combine 2 packets of active dry yeast with 1/2 cup warm warm water; let stand a few minutes; stir to blend; Stir in 1 1/2 cups luke warm milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 t. salt, 1 t. ground cardamom (inexpensive if you buy it in bulk at Winco), 2 eggs beaten and 2 cups of flour. Beat smooth. Add 3 more cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in 2 cubes of melted butter. Add enough of the remaining flour (3 cups) to make a soft dough which can be handled. Cover. Let rest 15 minutes. Turn out on floured board; knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover with damp towel. Let rise in warm place (85 degrees) until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down. Cover. Let rise again until almost doubled (about 1/2 hour). Turn out on lightly floured board. Divide into 3 parts to make 3 separate loaves of any shape. I usually braid mine, this year I also made one teddy bear shape. Candy cane twist is fun also. Last year I did a candy cane and topped it with frosting and crushed peppermint candies. Once you've shaped your loaves, bake at 375 for 18-25 minutes. Prepare powdered sugar frosting (1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 t vanilla and 1 T milk). Frost the loaves as soon as they come out of the oven. YUMMY FOR OUR TUMMIES!

A funny: The first year I made this I skipped the part that said to divide the dough into 3 separate parts. I had one GIGANTIC loaf that took an hour and a half to bake...I was wondering what the heck happened, until I called my mother-in-law and realized what I had done! Jeremy laughed hysterically....it was another comment that I still get occasionally...."that's not how my mom does it".

Jeremy and I both have many special childhood memories that we treasure. They are important traditions (to us) that we enjoy passing on to our own children. It's so much fun!