Monday, April 26, 2010

Can You See It?

A couple months ago our ward had a "Ward Family Night". The activities committee had different booths set-up to help promote the importance and different ideas to make monday nights "Family Home Evening" effective. One of the booths was a family assignment chart....this brought back memories of a wooden chart I made back when Ally was a baby.......I made it and honestly forgot about it, but looked forward to the day when we could utilize it. After the ward activity, I pulled it out and it has been SO effective! Our family's rotation: lesson/activity, treat, songs and prayer). Everyone has been excited to do their part and the burden is no longer left on mom.

Tonight's lesson and activiy was up to Ally. Normally, mom would assist and help her find a lesson and activity that would be suitable. This time, Ally was prepared and insisted she did not need help...she had the perfect lesson and it was one we had not done before. This preparation started in sacarament meeting the day before.

I was a little puzzled when Ally wrote on a piece of paper, in very tiny letters "Can you see it". There was no picture. On the opposite side of the paper, a poem was written.

Heavenly Fathers real.
He's really real to me.
I love Him so much.
I can't see Him.
Though he's really real to me.

I was touched in sacrament meeting, but didn't get the "Can you see it" on the opposite side...I didn't catch the fact that the two were related.

Tonight's lesson was all about combining the two, but with a little more detail:

She asked us all to look closely at the picture (no picture). "Can you see it, can you see it? Well, let me tell you about it. I know my Heavenly Father is real. He's really real. He can help us when we feel sad. I love him so much. We can't see him, though he's really real."

Jeremy and I were pretty choked up. The spirit was so strong, coming from this sweet 7 year old girl. We were able to tell her what a wonderful lesson she had given. We were also able to convey that this lesson was her testimony of Heavenly Father AND we were so pleased she shared it with us.

For our activity. Ally wanted each of us to draw pictures of Heavenly Father with His Son Jesus Christ. We needed to include a sun in the top corner, write something about the way we feel and anything else we wanted to include. Ally's picture is below:


We are thankful for this daughter of God that was sent to our home. She is such a blessing to our lives and helps us feel the spirit daily through her example.

1 comment:

Mulligan Family said...

Wow! That's awesome. Way to go...you must be doing some good teaching!