Monday, July 12, 2010

Water Awareness Program - AWESOME!!!

I'm so fortunate that I was able to get my girls into an AWESOME water awareness program. My girls have never had swimming lessons. The one time Ally did, she was kicked out because of her fear and pulling attention away from the others. We did do a couple private lessons and work with them last summer (thanks for Aunt Rachel's help), but it didn't get us that far.

Boy, are we feeling good as parents after the first session! You have to understand that Ally and Kaitlyn DID NOT like putting their face under water, getting ears or noses wet. Fear doesn't even describe the emotions at the beginning of session 1. Ally saw the "big kids" on the other end of the pool jumping off the diving board and thought she would have to too. She panicked and cryed to the instructor the first day and was dreading going back. The next day, nothing but pure excitment formed and each day they can't wait to go back for more.


Session two has just begun and Ally jumped off the diving board, TWICE! No floatation devices!!! and swam under water all the way to the ladder.


Kaitlyn's huge advancement is the fact that she'll lay in the water on her back. She wouldn't even do this in the bath tub, for she's always been afraid of getting her ears wet. She is swimming on her back and will fetch toys under water (with a little help getting down).


I'm so proud of my little fishes in the water!!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Finding the "right" class makes all the difference! Glad you guys found one and that the girls are enjoying the water this summer! I've got two kiddos who love the water but haven't been able to enjoy it much this summer because of all the rain we've had...

BrooksBlog said...

Thats awesome! Good job girls!! I cant believe I had lessons in that same pool!